Song of the Week
Bible Verse and Reflection
The story of Joseph the dreamer
There is a man called Joseph in the Bible and he had dreams. There were three things about Joseph's dreams:
1. Joseph's dreams made people dislike him.
Genesis 37 verse 5
“Joseph had a dream and when he told it to his brothers, they hated him all the more… His brothers were jealous of him”
2. Joseph's dreams seemed impossible.
Genesis 37 verse 7.
This is Joseph’s dream: “We were binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf rose and stood upright, while your sheaves gathered around mine and bowed down to it.”
When his brothers hated Joseph how could they ever bow down to him? This dream seemed impossible.
3. Joseph's dreams came true.
Genesis 42 verse 6
“Now Joseph was the governor of the land, the person who sold grain to all its people. So when Joseph's brothers arrived, they bowed down to him with their faces to the ground.”
Many years later Joseph was sold into slavery. He ended up working for the king. His brothers who thought he was dead had to come and see him, not actually knowing who he was, to ask for food for their family.
Joseph's dream came true after all those years of hardship and trials.
– Do you have a dream that seems impossible to reach?
– Are there people around who think your dreams are silly or are jealous of your dreams?
– Have you seen any of your dreams come true?
You can pray to God about all of these things. He knows how important your dreams are and he wants to see your dreams come true.
God I pray that you will help me to achieve my dream of ____ I pray you will give me the confidence to believe in myself and in achieving these dreams. Thank you for caring about my dreams and hopes for the future.
You can get all sorts of lovely flower seeds. You can use these seeds to represent your dreams. Plant them in your garden or in your home, as you plant them, think and pray about the dreams you want to see become a reality in your life.
1. Make a small hole in the soil and pop some seeds in the hole.
2. Cover the hole with soil and water it.
3. Give the seeds enough water and light to help them grow.
4. Watch them grow. This can be a long process but it can be so exciting when you see the little green shoots start to come through the soil!
This week's journal tip is for you to write down in your journal some of the dreams you have in your heart. Draw a big heart and write your dreams in the middle. For example: “I want to grow vegetables in my garden” or “I would like to reconnect with an old friend”
Go for it Dreamers!